To see what Virgin Mobile's been getting up to lately, check out the media releases below. If you're a media pro and need to get in touch with us, give our Press Team a shout at 416-607-8412.
Virgin Mobile gets nostalgic for 2012 AND looks ahead at THE BEST TO COME IN 2013
TORONTO (ONTARIO) December 20, 2012
The year just isn’t complete without round-ups of the best moments and predictions on what will be turning heads and making our thumbs text furiously in the New Year.
“We wanted to put our own Virgin Mobile stamp on Canada’s hot moments to remember from 2012. This year will go down in the history books for many reasons,” says Andrew Bridge, managing director, Virgin Mobile Canada. “It was tough to choose because there were so many influences driving the trends this year - the influx of Christian Grey, random fashion statements and political battles - but we’ve narrowed it down to five top moments for 2012 and also had some predictions for 2013.”
Top five Canadian moments of 2012
- Canadian Idol contestant turned superstar Carly Rae Jepsen and her song “Call Me Maybe” becomes the viral video of 2012 with everyone making their own renditions. Who knew giving out your phone number to a random could be so relatable?
- President Obama’s ‘Four more years’ tweet and picture of him embracing his wife was the most re-tweeted picture of all time. Perhaps Stephen Harper can beat him out with this year’s family holiday card?!
- Bedrooms became a bit steamier as over 750,000 Canadians flocked to bookstores to pick up their own copy of “50 Shades of Grey”. We still don’t believe that Anastasia never had a cell phone before meeting Christian Grey. But, we suspect that he gave her a Virgin Mobile phone ;)
- The Toronto men behind Sh!t Girls Say capitalized on the beauty that is female humour and became a Twitter and book sensation. “I just painted my nails. Can you make a call for me?”
- Everyone knows Canadians love their Facebook, but they also love their Instagram pics too! Selfies blew-up on smartphones and everyone became a professional photographer.
Top five for what’s to come in 2013
Sure, 2012 was a big year, but the experts at Virgin Mobile took a shot at predicting a some highlights for the year to come. Head’s up though – Virgin Mobile cannot be held responsible if any of these predictions come true!
- The IKEA monkey runs for Liberal leadership and offers free bananas and shearling coats for every voter!
- With some time on his hands during the NHL lockout, Sidney Crosby creates the Canadian version of Gangham style and has the world doing the ‘Mountie.’
- Ryan Gosling saves a baby from drowning and rescues a cat stuck in a tree increasing his chances of finally gracing the cover of People as the World’s Sexiest Man.
- While owls were the posh animal of 2012, appearing in everything from fashion to home décor, the beaver sets trends in 2013.
- The royal baby’s (legit) Twitter account gets 2 million followers within the first week. That’s pretty impressive considering the baby can’t even curtsey yet.
About Virgin Mobile Canada
Virgin Mobile Canada rewards, entertains and connects like no one else, delivering the super-hot phones on the blazing fast 4G network. Virgin Mobile Members also get benefits like exclusive VIP access and deals and award-winning service. 91 percent of Members would also recommend Virgin Mobile to a friend.
The Virgin Mobile group of companies has attracted more than 18 million customers worldwide. Virgin Mobile phones are available at more than 4,000 locations nationally including The Source, Virgin Mobile retail locations and additional retail partners. Virgin Mobile products can also be purchased online or by calling 1-888-999-2321. Get personal with Virgin Mobile Canada on Facebook and Twitter.
For more information, please contact:
Cortney Anderson, Hill Knowlton
Erica Faltous, Virgin Mobile Canada
Get in touch