To see what Virgin Mobile's been getting up to lately, check out the media releases below. If you're a media pro and need to get in touch with us, give our Press Team a shout at 416-607-8412.
Giving good text the first step to getting cozy with someone this fall
TORONTO (ONTARIO) November 5, 2012
To tweet this release: https://twitter.com/TORONTO (ON) November 5, 2012 – With the arrival of the crisp fall weather, Canadians can no longer rely on their bronzed beach bodies to catch a date’s eye anymore. As Canadians use their smartphones to manage more and more of their relationships, proper “textiquette” is becoming an increasingly important dating skill.
According to a new Virgin Mobile Canada survey by Leger Marketing, there’s something sexually APPealing about Facebook – 1 in 4 young Canadians say adding someone to Facebook is how they usually make the first move, ranking it the second most common way to connect with someone who is more than “just a friend.” Overall, when connecting with a love interest or significant other, 62 percent of young Canadians say yes to text*, and 40 percent believe that texting has made their love life better.
How and when Canadians choose to connect can also mean different things to different people. More than half of Canadians thought a quick response to a text meant someone was very interested in them. However, 24 percent thought it looked desperate, making thinking before texting the key to a good text life.
“The facts are in! Whether it’s sultry or sweet, daters love to have good text in their life,” said Andrew Bridge, managing director, Virgin Mobile Canada. “Today, people are agonizing over what to type, not what to say. More than a third of Canadians first ask someone out via text and one-quarter of Canadians do it via Facebook. And, almost half of Canadians will send a text to their crush after a first date. How we date is changing as more and more people go mobile. Daters are just more comfortable making those first few moves with the right steamy text!”
Think twice next time you see your colleague smirking at their phone in a meeting. According to the survey, steam isn’t restricted to the shower anymore. In fact, the number one place for sending steamy messages is at the office. And, shockingly, 30-34 year olds are the most likely group to send sexy textys while on the clock.
No matter where you’re doing it, texting can have positive effects besides giving our thumbs super strength. Canadians surveyed most commonly said that texting makes them braver (45 percent) and flirtier (41 percent). Who knew texting was the new liquid courage?
How to give good text
- Your English teacher was right – grammar does matter! The number one texting turnoff was bad spelling or grammar when texting with potential dates so watch ur speling carfuly.
- Young Canadians want a side of personality with that text. Don’t be afraid to let the true you shine in those messages because texts lacking personality ranked as one of the top texting turnoffs.
- Slow to respond? You give flaccid text. Half of ladies surveyed shared that a slow response time will get you nowhere because an immediate response to a text screams “very interested.” Men, just because the clocks fall behind this season, doesn’t mean you can. Throw out the “3 day rule” playbook and text your lady back already!
- Poke! Poke! has officially replaced the Ring! Ring! 23 percent of Canadians who are dating LIKE to use Facebook to make the first move, while only 19 percent would consider calling a potential suitor. Time to update that Facebook profile!
What does your province say about your steamy phone habits?
- Atlantic Canada deserves a big thumbs award. More than three quarters (78 percent) of Maritimers using text messaging to keep in touch with a love interest or significant other.
- Quebecers are the most patient. 23 percent thought that waiting a week to respond to a text was playing hard to get.
- To Ontarians, texting is the new wingman! Half of Ontarians surveyed say that texting makes their love life better.
- Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents are too sexy to be shy. When it comes to sending sexy messages, 42 percent of them admit to this steamy behavior.
- B.C. the brave. British Columbia is home to some of the most fearless Canadians, and we’re not just talking on the slopes. More than half of west coasters surveyed say they are braver via text.
- Don’t expect an Albertan to kiss and tell. When asked how exciting their text life is compared to their sex life – one-fifth didn’t know or preferred not to say.
Are you Pinterested in learning more of the survey results? Check out this infographic for all the juicy details.
About Virgin Mobile Canada
Virgin Mobile Canada rewards, entertains and connects like no one else, delivering the super-hot phones on the blazing fast 4G network. Virgin Mobile Members also get benefits like exclusive VIP access and deals and award-winning service. 91 percent of Members would also recommend Virgin Mobile to a friend.
The Virgin Mobile group of companies has attracted more than 18 million customers worldwide. Virgin Mobile phones are available at more than 4,000 locations nationally including The Source, Virgin Mobile retail locations and additional retail partners. Virgin Mobile products can also be purchased online or by calling 1-855-238-6847. Get personal with Virgin Mobile Canada on Facebook and Twitter.
About the survey
The survey was completed online from August 30th to September 7th, 2012 using Leger Marketing’s online panel, LegerWeb, with a sample of 1045 Canadians aged 18 to 34 who own a mobile phone.
A probability sample of the same size would yield a margin of error of ±3.0 percent, 19 times out of 20.
*Text refers to all forms of text-based messaging, not including email.
For more information or images, please contact:
Sommer Ellis, Hill Knowlton
Erica Faltous, Virgin Mobile Canada
Get in touch